Jan 14, 2014

People Need People


            Most, if not all, my hats require people. How can I wear my Wife hat without my husband or my Mom hat without my daughter? I can’t. And how useless would my writing be without any readers? People need people.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 says, “Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.”

God’s perfect design involves people needing people. Eve was created for Adam because God knew man shouldn’t be alone. The extent of people needing others varies greatly. Introverts recharge their batteries by themselves while extroverts energize with a crowd. I’m not saying people don’t also need time alone. Even Jesus needed time alone.
            During American Lit in college, I had to read a book about a hermit entitled Walden. The most exciting part of the plot was the observation of ants. Ants!  Needless to say, I had a hard time reading through the book without falling asleep. I asked myself many times why anyone would find pleasure in complete solitude. I mean, we use isolation as a way to punish our worst criminals. Granted, being alone with nature is nothing like being alone in a cell.
The idea of safety in numbers has been drilled into my head since elementary school. During field trips, we would always pair up to help keep our group together and protected (or corralled—whatever your perspective). When I was in the Dominican Republic for a mission trip, we were told never to go anywhere by ourselves when not at the home base. All these examples reaffirm what the Bible already tells us in Essclesiates 4:12, which states, “A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.”

The last part’s my favorite; so much for the saying, “three’s a crowd.”

            So, if people in general need other people, how much more do Christians need each other? I believe the verses in Ecclesiastes can apply to spiritual falling and attacks as well as physical ones. Paul encouraged his readers to “not neglect our meeting together, as some people do… (Hebrews 10: 25)” God has a purpose for all of us, and part of our purpose is being a useful part of the body of Christ. Don’t see the value in such a “religious setting”?  Read 1 Corinthians 12:12-31.
            I understand that some of you may have been burned or abused by a church. All I can say to that is I’m sorry. Unfortunately not every church out there is healthy. Some are sick, just like people. And I can honestly say that every church is filled with hypocrites. The body of Christ is built with humans, and humans (expect for Christ himself) are imperfect. I’m sure your family isn’t filled with perfect people, so why expect a church to be? After all, that’s what other believers are: FAMILY.


Hats off to you, my friend. I will write again, but until then...
hang on to your hat! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this encouraging post, Rebecca. It is a great reminder of how we all need encouragement from each other. Blessings to you and your writing ministry. God bless.
    ~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think of this post!