Feb 13, 2014

Love: Eros or Agape?



Tis the season for chocolates, flowers and cards. Oh, how the florists are busy this weekend! And whoever replaced diamonds with chocolate as far as woman’s best friend is concerned is probably swimming in the profits. Me and Valentine's Day have a love/hate relationship. On one hand, my Wife hat enjoys the annual supply of flowers and chocolate. On the other, the holiday exalts a lesser type of love.

Here’s a little historical insight. Valentine’s Day originally honored the highest form of love found in John 15:13, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." The feast was about a Christian martyr who died on February 14, and no more. It wasn’t romantic until the middle ages.

Today, Valentine's Day doesn't emphasize the love truly worth celebrating: agape. The definition for agape is not found in the dictionary but in 1 Corinthians.  
If English was a more sensible language, we’d have multiple words like the Greeks to describe the diverse types of loves out there instead of clumping them all into L-O-V-E. I love my dog, my daughter and my husband, but all in completely different ways. The beauty of agape love (a.k.a God) is that it’s appropriate for everyone. Eros, however, is not. The World is very confused on this issue.The phrase, “You can’t help who you love” is only true with eros. You can’t help who you’re attracted to and emotionally drawn to. That being said, you can choose whom to have a relationship with.

Young ladies everywhere, don't confuse the two types of love. Boys will use eros to convince you to go too far physically, but they don't necessarily love you with agape. Reverse that statement as a warning to young men as well. Some may actually mean agape, but the only way to know for sure is to wait for that ring and ceremony. Until then, he or she has made no commitment, so why give away what can only be given to one?

You may think I'm really knocking romantic love. No way! I'm a sucker for romance. But unconditional, sacrificial love is where it's at. This weekend I plan to watch a chick flick, and I know without a doubt if Jon watches the movie with me, agape love is involved, not eros.

 Hats off to you, my friend. I will write again, but until then...
hang on to your hat! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think of this post!