Dec 19, 2013

All Natural



Lately I’ve been on an all-natural kick. I’ve bought unbleached flour, tried to limit my processed food intake and started making more from scratch. My Suzy Homemaker hat is a little lopsided, but I’ll wear it occasionally. That being said, I’m also lazy and won’t go too far out of my way to be healthy. For example, I know I could technically make my own cream of [fill in the blank] soups but Campbell is so much easier. If I didn’t have ten or so other hats to wear, maybe I’d spend all day in the kitchen creating masterpieces, but right now I simply don’t have the time.

Likewise, my vanity shelf is as unnatural as they come. Even my curls are chemically produced. I have not gone down the no-poo road, nor will I. I cover my hair and face with all sorts of creams and products that contain components I can’t pronounce, let alone know what they are. However, in a world of natural versus artificial, I want more than anything that my faith be 100% natural. 


The other day I was shopping for Christmas gifts and lost my cell phone. I had stupidly kept my phone in my back pocket, and the jeans I was wearing were the stretchy kind (you know, 99% spandex). While comparing playdough sets, Kayla decided she’d have some fun with mommy and threw her sippy cup beneath a shelf. I bent over to pick it up, and my cell phone popped out.

I only realized my phone’s absence when I was checking out. Panicking, I tossed the merchandise I planned to buy back into my cart and started searching the store. Not finding it in the bathroom or where I’d retrieved Kayla’s sippy cup, I went to customer service and asked if someone had turned in my phone. Praise Jesus, someone did! In fact, when the employee handed me my phone, I even said, “Praise Jesus!” The words naturally flowed from my lips. The lady scoffed a bit at my exclamation, and at first I couldn’t figure out why. Then the sad truth sunk in; not everyone knows Jesus.

I’ve mentioned before how my faith is really the hat rack on which all my hats hang. I’d like to think that my faith shines through all parts of my life. My cousin teases me sometimes and says, “Your Christian is showing.” Like the time my conscience got the better of me, and I felt compelled to return a refrigerated item we’d decided not to buy back to the refrigerated area. Joking aside, I was not insulted by this statement. I mean, I sure hope my Christian is showing!

Is yours?


Hats off to you, my friend. I will write again, but until then...
hang on to your hat! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think of this post!